First thing you have to do is carefully pick your nettles, (also called stinging nettles)
Be careful not to touch the plant, the sting thy give can hurt!
And depending on the person can remain painful from only a couple minutes to more than a day!
Pick them when they are small, they are more tender and easier to handle. ;)
| small nettle, pick with gloves! |
| wash the nettles |
Megs let them drain as they were very wet after being pureed.
| draining water off pureed nettles & lemon balm |
1 goose egg, or 3 chicken eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup sugar of choice
1/2 cup pureed stinging nettles (carefully collect, wash, steam if desired, and
puree)
a
handful of lemon balm, pureed
3/4 cup oil of choice
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Preheat
oven to 350. cream egg, vanilla and sugar together.
Add remaining liquid ingredients.
Add dry ingredients slowly, mixing completely.
Scoop into tins and bake 22-28 minutes.
Add remaining liquid ingredients.
Add dry ingredients slowly, mixing completely.
Scoop into tins and bake 22-28 minutes.
Top
with:
Lemon
Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sheep or goat cheese, mascarpone, or cream cheese at room temperature (I
prefer cream cheese)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
zest of lemon
Whip
butter and cheese until light and fluffy. Add sugar, then remaining
ingredients, beating until smooth.
| adding nettle puree |
| ready to go in the oven! |
| Now they're done baking! |
Then decorate and eat!!
The first time she made these we weren't sure if we'd like them. I mean they have stinging nettles in them!
But they were amazing and we love them!
We have lots of nettles that grow around our place, and none of the critters like them so there's plenty!
I decided to post the recipe today instead of next week as we have two does due this weekend so I am hoping to be posting baby goat pix next week! Yay!! :D
Have a great weekend everybody!
How interesting! I can honestly say I've never tried these. . . :D
ReplyDelete